Lab Safety & Manufacturing Training
How to become certified to use the AIAA Lab
UAS@UCLA uses tools in order to manufacture parts of the airframe. These tools pose an inherent risk that could result in serious injury and/or death if not properly trained. For this reason, all new and returning members must complete lab safety training each year both internal and external to UAS@UCLA.
Lab Safety Information
Please read through the following pages to learn about AIAA Lab Policies, tools, and manufacturing techniques. We will go through all of these (except soldering, since that will have its own workshop) during the lab safety workshop.
- General Lab Safety
- Carbon Fiber Manufacturing
- Wood Manufacturing
- Metal Manufacturing
- 3D Printing
- Soldering- Not yet available
In order to use the lab, UCLA Environmental, Health, & Safety (EH&S) requires that all members complete two online training modules. These workshops can be found on the UCLA Worksafe Website. Log in, and go to "Course Catalog" and search for the two workshops. When you complete them, please send a screenshot to an airframe director so we can make record of it.
Lab Safety Fundamentals
This first online workshop covers a variety of general laboratory safety training and takes ~85 minutes to complete. Honestly, most of the information is irrelevant for us as we do not chemicals, but some of the information is important. Please pay extra attention to the following sections and note there will be a quiz at the end of the module.
- Section 2: Safety Culture
- Section 3: Analyzing Hazards- Laboratory Physical Hazards
- Section 9: Develop Controls- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Section 10: Perform Work- Prudent Practices
- Section 12: Perform Work- Emergencies
- Section 13: Lab Security
- Section 14: Rights and Responsibilities
Shop Safety Online Training
The second online workshop covers general shop safety and takes approximately 20-25 minutes to complete. This module is much more relevant to our organization than the other and you should pay attention to all the information. There is a quiz at the end as well.
- Read through all the links on the Wiki regarding lab safety, material manufacturing, and tool use.
- Visit the shop to see the different tools and locate emergency equipment.
- Complete the online modules- Lab Safety Fundamentals and Shop Safety Online Training.
- Send a screenshot of your completed modules to an airframe director so that we can record that you completed it.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding lab safety, please let one of us know as soon as possible. Your safety is extremely important to UAS@UCLA and we want to provide you with a good working enviroment in order to pursue mission success.